Police999.com Discussion Forums
November 23, 2014, 15:35:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: In order to see all of our Forums (we have over 30), you will need to register

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dvla wheel clamp. can you remove  (Read 13808 times)
parkinsondavid3

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Awards
« on: March 31, 2009, 20:40:21 PM »

can you remove a dvla wheel clamp your self .
a friends car was clamped for no road  tax.
he taxed the car then removed the clamp him self is this legal, no damage was caused to the clap at all.
SgtAngel
Administrator

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 21:08:06 PM »

The clamp was put there lawfully and your friend should have waited for the DVLA to return and release it.

If a woman tells you she's twenty and looks sixteen, she's twelve. If she tells you she's twenty-six and looks twenty-six, she's damn near fourty

Police999.com ModTeam
busterbloodvessel
Global Moderator

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:37:48 AM »

Much easier to have bought a tax disc in the first place!! He's looking at having his car seized and crushed now!!

TJF

Mod Posts in Green
RandomName
Top Member

Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 17:58:24 PM »

I was under the impression that DVLA wheel clamps where treated differently to clamps fitted by private companies. It may be an offence, but I can't find anything on it.

I'd certainly be weary about removing such a clamp and suspect there'll certainly be a monitary charge awaiting your friend regardless of the clamp being removed.

Why on earth did they remove it? Surely if they'd paid for tax they should get the DVLA or their agent to return and remove it legitimately?

Any views expressed herein are those of my own and NOT of any police force or organisation
Chief
Yeah, roger that...
Administrator

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 19:39:03 PM »

I fully expect this will be an offence as the DVLA are empowered under law to clamp vehicles for tax offences. There would be no point in giving them the power to clamp if anyone couold just remove it without breach of the law.

If I get a chance I'll look into it at work.

It would be similar to removing a clamp lawfully put on by a bailiff recovering a vehice; it is an offence to interfere with it, can't remember the Act now but had one last year at work.

These are different to clamps put on under parking on private property 'rules' as those clamps aren't put on under legislation, just the rules of the land owner/civil law.

Rusty99
Power Member

Cheer up.....here is the GB Volley Ball Team!!!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 21:02:47 PM »

From the DVLA web site.......

Release within 24 hours
To get your vehicle released you'll need to:

pay a release fee of £100
produce a valid tax disc

If you donít produce a tax disc youíll need to pay a surety (deposit) instead. This is £160 for a car or motorcycle and up to £700 for other vehicles.

Youíll get the surety payment back when you tax your vehicle and produce a valid tax disc. If you fail to produce a tax disc within two weeks youíll lose the surety payment and your vehicle could be clamped again and again.

Release after 24 hours

To release your vehicle, youíll need to pay a £200 fee, and any storage charges of £21 per day, as well as producing a valid tax disc or surety payment. Provided youíre registered as the vehicle keeper, DVLA will write to inform you that your vehicle has been impounded and will be disposed of unless all fees are paid.

You could also face prosecution with fines up to £1,000 as well as paying any arrears of vehicle tax owed and costs. Unclaimed vehicles are crushed after seven days. Vehicles of economic value are disposed of after 14 days. Any vehicles of significant value are resold at auction.

KerryUK
Constable

www.myspace.com/kerryisaac

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 06:41:05 AM »

your friend WILL get a fine through the post for having an untaxed vehicle plus back tax and maybe one for removing the clamp. So it would have just been alot easier for him to produce his tax and pay that £100 release fee, now he will probably end up with a even higher fine.
But Rusty99 post explains it all
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: