Police999.com Discussion Forums
November 28, 2014, 17:49:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: In order to see all of our Forums (we have over 30), you will need to register

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No tax disk & SORN  (Read 8152 times)
Anonymous
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 17:33:36 PM »

Quote from: "Chiprafp"

Officers are entitled to eat meals too, would you rather they pop into Tescos where they are still visible and able to deal or do you want them back at the station hidden away like some form of lepers?

The police will deal when a crime is committed and the person is caught driving it. People like you infuriate me.

As I'm not a police officer, how am I supposed to know that there is no canteed at my local station?
As I don't spend 24/7 at my local supermarket, how am I supposed to know I'll find my local constabulary taking refs there?

As for the last statement, my understanding of road tax is that a car should not be kept on a road without displaying a valid tax disk & if it is declared SORN, it should be kept off the highway altogether.
The car makes sporadic appearances - usually Sundays and late evenings - obviously hen there is less chance of being caught - however, since reporting the appearance of the car on 4 separate occasions - not four reports of the car sitting there all the time, it comes & goes - it is obviously being driven.
In my ignorance, I always thought it was against the law to drive a vehicle on the roads without a valid tax disk and again, in my ignorance, I always believed the police were there to uphold the law.

Now I know better, I can keep reporting my sporadic sightings to the DVLA.
Chiprafp
Number One RAF Plod
Power Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

WWW Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 17:49:34 PM »

Your manner is so arrogant! Well in my ignorance you stated that the car is sat at the side of the road, in my ignorance the police havent seen it being driven therfore cant uphold that law and in my ignorance you have issues. Not nice to be spoken to like a buffoon is it!

Have the police seen it being driven Guest? Until then its a DVLA issue so stop going on about how the police should be upholding the law!

Chip

Chris
Chief Officer

Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 18:39:36 PM »

Quote from: "Anonymous"
In my ignorance, I always thought it was against the law to drive a vehicle on the roads without a valid tax disk and again, in my ignorance, I always believed the police were there to uphold the law.

You have come onto the site asking for advice, you have been given that advice.  If you don't like the advice given then that is not the fault of those who bothered to post to your rant - That is the way things work - If you don't like it I suggest you speak to someone who has the power to change it (not us!)

The police are there to uphold the law - Whilst they are in Tesco grabbing a bite to eat they are investigating several crimes that they have on their workloads and their presence in Tesco is preventing thefts from that store - Better they get their food there than the staff canteen at the nick (there aren't many thefts from there!)

So yes we are there to uphold the law, prevent and investigate crime.

The DVLA are there to ensure vehicles are licensed, if the vehicle isn't licensed then that is the DVLA's fault.  I suggest you find a site for DVLA staff and moan to them

ou want me to write the theme tune ... sing the theme tune ...
Ratty
Sergeant

Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 00:01:08 AM »

Better they get their food there than the staff canteen at the nick (there aren't many thefts from there!)

You never heard of the great Milk Fridge Robbery?? Shame on you !! We have two PC's awaiting extradition from Flint House for that one !!

Guest,

Your attitude is a good indicator of why I never take my meal break in public. Imagine sitting down for YOUR dinner and facing snidey comments every five seconds about, "Eating on taxpayers money are you?".(And thats the nice ones!)

And thats when I get a meal break! I can't remember the last nine or ten hour shift when I actually had a meal break which I wasn't required to work through or which was disturbed by having to turn out for a job. A Sarnie grabbed from Tescos' is a luxury. Now, you don't normally hear us whining about this. We signed up for it. We expect it. It just pisses me off when the public forget that under the uniform we are human too.
If I get anything, then its usually a choccy bar grabbed from the petrol station while I'm fuelling my bike at the end of the day.

I don't know what YOU do for a living, but just think on that before jumping on the old high horse and riding off into the sunset.
JPO
Power Member

Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 01:00:14 AM »

Just so I'm clear on this......... Is driving a car, or having a car parked on the public highway without a valid tax disc, NOT a criminal offence??

Or is it still a criminal offense, but one that the Police pass on to the DVLA to investigate and prosecute? If so what is the point......... as I assume the Police would be required as the witness for the prosecution, so all that is achieved is is add another level of bureaucracy to the process.....

In my personal opinion
Chief
Yeah, roger that...
Administrator

WWW Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 01:12:30 AM »

Police do not prosecute for neither failure to have a tax disc nor failure to display a tax disc. We never have (at least in the last 30 years).

Our only involvement in such offences is and has always been, to fill in a form and send it to Swansea, if they want to prosecute the owner of the vehicle, they can. We, of course, would be a witness to the fact that the car was on the road without a disc at said time. In all the years I've been in the job I have never had to give evidence on court over an excise licence offence.

DVLA have the power to remove vehicles which are not taxed, the police don't (we can only remove uninsured or unlicenced drivers)

The biggest frustration with people who report untaxed vehicles is that the next day the car is still there, or the next month. Of course what they will never know is that the owner may be going through the process via DVLA enforcement unit.

It's exactly the same for some bylaws. Police can be witnesses and pass details to the council but it is for the council to prosecute the offender, not the police.

It is important for people to realise that the police don't do everything, we never have. We are also not the only enforcement people around.

Ratty
Sergeant

Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 08:10:26 AM »

Of course if I catch 'em driving, its a 60 FPN
psipswich2000
Top Member

Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 14:36:17 PM »

Seems to me the lawbreakers have it all ways. they declare their car SORN so DVLA won't be after them - how are they supposed to know the car is being driven around?

Police couldn't give a monkeys unless the guy drives right past their noses.

And don't be telling me they have better things to do, I've just seen two officers get out of their car & buy a few things in Tesco.
So I mentioned the car to them...

They said they'd look into it.

How difficult would it be to find out where the car is declared SORN & then drive by the address I gave - miles apart.

I suppose it's easier to wait until he kills/injures someone.
Whatever happened to preventative policing?

It's no wonder the public have little faith in the police.

Its comments like the above which really hack me off when it comes to the attitudes of some members of the public. As has been pointed out by other members, and is common knowledge to anybody in the job, the Police do not deal with tax offences. We are, as are ordinary members of the public, witnesses to the offences which then get passed to the DVLA.

Also, just because a Police Officer is seen coming out of McDonalds, TESCO or where-ever, it does not mean he/she is not busy doing their job. The fact that that officer may well eat their refs that day whilst en route to a job goes against the law which states minimum refreshment hours. I can't remember the last time I sat down for the specified time and ate my refs - it just doesn't happen. If I get called to deal with something, I have to leave my food and go to deal with it.

As for preventative policing, the little time that we have got to spend on prevention, is aimed at crimes such as burglaries and car crime. Not towards minor problems such as this that we don't deal with anyway.

Guest - perhaps before you come on here bleating about problems you think the Police should deal with, a little investigation on your part might have been advisable. Even if it was a question to members here before you started blaming the Police for everything that goes wrong in society. Besides, do you not think that is p*sses us off to when we see cars being driven round without tax - contrary to popular belief, we are living breathing human beings too....!!!!!
Gest
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2006, 23:45:46 PM »

More attention should be given to real crimes rather than driving matters.  Driving matters have to addressed but getting the little toe rag that burgle houses are more important.
Chiprafp
Number One RAF Plod
Power Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 02:15:12 AM »

I am assuming this is a different person now as they are using the all time great line about catching real criminals lol.

Chip

oldbillplod
Chief Inspector

Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2006, 11:38:20 AM »

I suppose it's easier to wait until he kills/injures someone.
Whatever happened to preventative policing?

Why is he going to kill someone just because he hasn't got a valid VEL 8O
Gest
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2006, 23:17:26 PM »

Quote from: "Chiprafp"
I am assuming this is a different person now as they are using the all time great line about catching real criminals lol.

Yes it is!

Eh! Please explain your reply!
Ratty
Sergeant

Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2006, 23:29:18 PM »

More woryingly, how is he getting web access in the jungle ??

Or is it Ant and Dec messing about??
Chiprafp
Number One RAF Plod
Power Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2006, 01:24:02 AM »

Have you any idea hoe the little toerage normally gets to and from the more serious crimes? They normally steal a car or use a car that has no tax or insurance! I am sure that my Civillian Police colleagues will confirm that many a criminal is caught due to "Driving Matters" as you put it. Theres my explanation Smiley

Chip

KILOK
Superintendent

Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2006, 20:06:30 PM »

Quote from: "Gest"
More attention should be given to real crimes rather than driving matters.  Driving matters have to addressed but getting the little toe rag that burgle houses are more important.

Sorry for my ignorance.........The real criminals use shitty vehicles and commit the most serious traffic offences because they do not have any respect for other people......so thats why we go after the traffic offences because you know that 9 out of 10 times it is going to be a real criminal driving.
Classic example on on Night shift yesterday...car driving with no lights on...gets stopped and the driver is drunk.....hes not some normal old guy just come from a pub...he was a convicted Burglar and also for Theft from Motor vehicles. Good people have respect for other ,he didnt. This guy was not coming from the direction of his hoem address so you have to wonder what he wa doing out at a silly time,checking out house i guess.How many Burglaries did we prevent that night?Huh?Who knows.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: