Police999.com Discussion Forums
September 02, 2014, 01:47:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: In order to see all of our Forums (we have over 30), you will need to register

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how do camera vans work?  (Read 54405 times)
the_robmeister
Inspector

Awards
« on: June 07, 2006, 11:29:36 AM »

There is a road i regularly drive down and lately theres is always a police safety camera van parked on the side of the road.i Just have a few questions if anyone knows the answers?

Where is the camera that picks you up? From what i have seen they have blacked out windows at the back, a side blacked out window and there is the windscreen

Do they have to be parked in full view? i thought they were meant as a deterent(sp) not just to catch people

And one thats been asked loads of times but thoguth i would put it here anyway, On a 30 mph road, in your opinion, what is the lowest you would have to go over the limit to pick you up?

If they are to deter people and are in full view, surely they would never catch anyone or make any money as surely no one is stupid enough to see one then speed past it.
thanks for any help Cheesy
Adam
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 12:46:00 PM »

In reverse order - there are some extremely stupid people out there.  I have been accused of 'hiding' whilst doing laser whilst wearing a 3/4 length flourescent jacket, white hat and standing next to a bloody big volvo with blue lights on it.  I never really considered that as deep under cover!  

In terms of the 30, the ACPO guidelines are 35 mph and above.  How strictly i would enforce that depends on the circumstances.  3.30 pm outside a school i'd enforce it rigidly, on the same road a 3.30 am, not so rigidly.  

The blacked out windows slide to one side and give an unobstruced view for the camera.

Sometimes there are a deterrent, other times they are enforcement, sometimes they are both.  Ultimately, being stuck on is a deterrent!  
It's a common thing when on traffic to be asked for a verbal warning.  Sometimes you give them but in the end a law that is not enforced is not a law, look at the degredation of standards in assault charges, you get a situation where the police/CPS are effectively re-writing laws, contrary to parliament's wishes.    

Believe it or not, the aim is not to make money, it's to save lives, albeit the money thing has certainly made the saving of life a bit more popular :-?
the_robmeister
Inspector

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 14:23:31 PM »

Thanks for the answers Adam. Thats alot of help. So with the blacked out side window how does the camera pick up the number plate as wouldnt it only get a side view of the car?
Adam
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 14:28:16 PM »

Usually they face the away from the traffic with the camera facing out the back.  
It's possible the one you've seen has a side mounted camera, never seen one like that myself, but anything's possible....
the_robmeister
Inspector

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 15:23:51 PM »

ah im with you.
WOuld the van be recording speeds from both sides of the roads or just one? Also, if anyone knows this, how does the camera work. does it detect then automatically record a speeder or does it just detect it then the police officer inside has to do the paperwork?
Adam
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 17:11:42 PM »

usually just the one camera.

As for the detection method, it varies, some use laser, others are versions of a Gatso, some may even still use radar.  

best thing to  do if you really want to know is to ask your local police, it's not a secret.
psipswich2000
Top Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 20:21:36 PM »

Going back to the point about the van being visible as a deterrent....

How come people get caught by static yellow box cameras at the side of the raod, when they get a warning sign, as well as the bright yellow coloured box to deter them. Similar thing on the motorways.... on stretches of the M25 for example, there are camera signs on every other bridge. Yet people still get caught by the cameras. Even during variable speed limits, the limit flashes up, usually over several lanes.... people cannot claim that they didn't see them.

Just proves Adam's point that there are a load of stupid people out there....  :no:
the_robmeister
Inspector

Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 21:19:15 PM »

o the vans ever get put on bridges above motorways? I can imagine it owuld be easier to get caught by one of these if so, as its not as obvious as a van by the side of the road
EvoniC
Sergeant

Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 22:40:28 PM »

Quote from: "Adam"
Usually they face the away from the traffic with the camera facing out the back.  
It's possible the one you've seen has a side mounted camera, never seen one like that myself, but anything's possible....

The camera can be mounted for the side window. This is used for bridge work when the camera has to point at 90 degrees to the direction of the van, to face the traffic passing underneath.
busterbloodvessel
Global Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 23:22:07 PM »

Just a small point about the vans/cameras being visible:

I've asked officers from our Proactive Robbery Squad if they are ever criticised for catching criminals when they are unaware they are being watched. They looked at me as if I was stupid. Funny how Joe Public doesn't mind "real criminals" being caught by "underhand" methods. And a massive fine for Robbery isn't about revenue, its about punishment.

That's probably because of the massive difference between the amount of people killed or seriously injured in robberies compared to Road Traffic ... Oh, hang on...

TJF

Mod Posts in Green
the_robmeister
Inspector

Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 07:11:47 AM »

I agree that if your speeding you shouldnt need a great big police van to get you to stick to the limit, but considering the amount of people who do speed, there would be so many people losing their licences.
I swear im the only person who does 30 in a thirty zone 8O
SoS
Chief Superintendent

Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 08:00:43 AM »

Quote from: "busterbloodvessel"
Just a small point about the vans/cameras being visible:

I've asked officers from our Proactive Robbery Squad if they are ever criticised for catching criminals when they are unaware they are being watched. They looked at me as if I was stupid. Funny how Joe Public doesn't mind "real criminals" being caught by "underhand" methods. And a massive fine for Robbery isn't about revenue, its about punishment.

That's probably because of the massive difference between the amount of people killed or seriously injured in robberies compared to Road Traffic ... Oh, hang on...

Pop back and ask your proactive robbery squad, how many of them have exceeded the speed limit, perhaps even unintentionally.

Then ask them how many have committed the offence of robbery.

Then ask them what they think of speed cameras.  8O

I'm sure if they and you considered that speeding made someone a 'real criminal', then they wouldn't be so blasé about admitting to it.  

Remember that speeding is the only law which requires constant vigilance for mere compliance. And to exacerbate this it is the only law which expects us to operate constantly at the edge of legality.

I don't think you could ever say the same for robbery.

ruth always rests with the minority, because the minority is generally formed by those who really have an opinion, while the strength of a majority is illusory, formed by the gangs who have no opinion.   Søren Kierkegaard
SoS
Chief Superintendent

Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 08:13:08 AM »

Quote from: "busterbloodvessel"

The joined up thinking and stats analysis of that subject strongly suggests that the current speed enforcement strategy is actually adding to the tally of fatal and seriously injured collisions, not reducing it.

And the cost of this loss overshadows any financial benefit to the treasury, without even starting to think about the added personal loss to the families.

ruth always rests with the minority, because the minority is generally formed by those who really have an opinion, while the strength of a majority is illusory, formed by the gangs who have no opinion.   Søren Kierkegaard
Adam
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 08:36:00 AM »

40 years ago drink/driving was viewed in much the same way speeding is now.  
5 years ago it was not a problem to use you mobile whilst driving.

It takes time to get the public behind an offence and make it 'anti-social'.
SoS
Chief Superintendent

Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 09:14:52 AM »

Quote from: "Adam"
40 years ago drink/driving was viewed in much the same way speeding is now.  
5 years ago it was not a problem to use you mobile whilst driving.

It takes time to get the public behind an offence and make it 'anti-social'.

There are types of speeding which disgust all members of the public.  These speeders are the polar opposites to the mindset of the camera fixed penalty payers.  Robotic enforcement frees those idiots to cause their carnage and mayhem wherever they like first making sure that there are no cameras, or they cannot be detected.

Drink driving deaths are on the increase now.  Why?  Probably lack of enforcement resources.  Why?

Speed as we know is only ever a factor if it is inappropriate.  

Appropriate speed for the conditions is the ideal way to drive, with due respect for the speed limit created by sensible enforcement of it, not completely threatened by it.

I believe that more draconian electronic in car enforcement, rather than public disgust with speed will be the main factor in limiting speed below the limits with the eventual inclusion of mandatory ISA (Intelligent speed adaptation) in all vehicles.

If this type of introduction causes the same increase in overall fatalities as was experienced when HGVs were limited (through tiredness, boredom, concentration loss etc) we'll be looking for a serious increase in road policing numbers to manage the extra collisions.

Time will tell.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: