Police999.com Discussion Forums
August 29, 2014, 18:04:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: In order to see all of our Forums (we have over 30), you will need to register

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warrants for Failure to Appear at Court.  (Read 2031 times)
Storm
Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom

WWW Awards
« on: February 23, 2006, 07:43:20 AM »

Having watched and giggled though MacIntyre's Big Sting last night the end left me rather puzzled (doesn't take much)

For those who didn't see it, I'll set the scene - it's been done before

Fake competition with fake websites, advertising a new football magazine is launched, with big prizes (a car or cash) and the invitations are sent to people that have outstanding warrants for failing to appear at court and have been successful in evading traditional methods of capture.

Offender turns up - poses for pic while their ID is verified, a driving licence (in case they win the car) is needed and once that happens they go onto the game, a penalty shot

Winning every time they then go down the tunnel to be greeted by, as Donal puts it "The suprise of their life." They are greeted by several officers and arrested on warrant for failing to appear.

With me so far? - I was up to this point...

At the end it said how one man had still, after being arrested at the fake show, gone on to fail to appear - now, I was under the impression that when arrested on warrant for failing to appear, the offender is remanded until court, as there is a high change of them failing to appear...

Anyone I've locked up on a fail to appear warrant has been automatically remanded till court.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why these people were then bailed? It was the MET, in case that makes any difference...

Ta Smiley

hangman
Power Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 10:13:50 AM »

There are bail and no bail warrants. If arrested for a bail warrant you would be taken to the cells and bailed to court from there.
No bail warrants you are kept in for court and would not be released until then.

It may have been that they went to court on the warrant and were bailed from there never to return again.

H
Chief
Yeah, roger that...
Administrator

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 10:25:30 AM »

Being taken to court for a previous fail to appear doesn't automatically mean they will be remanded in custody.

You'd be amazed at some of the cases they do give bail to even having previously failed to appear.

Very entertaining programme, but I can't help think that all the money spent on setting it up might have been just as successfully used knocking on people's doors. Maybe they go lots and lots of people but only showed a few.

Storm
Administrator

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 13:27:08 PM »

Thanks both,

Seems a trifle daft for them to be bailed when they've previous for failing to appear! Still our is not to reason why....

Agree about the money chief, but it's always a good giggle  :lol:

GymRat
Site Staff

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 15:12:09 PM »

Many FTA warrants for minor road traffic offences are often with bail in the first instance, as the courts sometimes "give them a chance", often because these may have been the result of summonses rather than arrest and charge......

Once the suspect is bailed from a police station, if they fail ton show up again, the warrant will not be backed for bail, and they are off to the next available court. (Thats why warrants for FTA for assault on police are also executed on Christmas Eve!)

"W.W.S.D?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: